As the statutory apex body in the field of University Education in Bangladesh, the vision of the UGC is to enhance and strengthen the quality of Higher Education. The standards of teaching and research in public and private universities in the country are the main concern. It also aims to bringing in qualitative improvement in the governance and management of the universities by establishing academic discipline, financial accountability and transparency.
To ensure high quality education in the public and private universities, keeping in view the needs and aspirations of the people and the society.
- To develop the universities as centers of excellence which in turn will produce trained and skilled manpower capable of resolving socio-economic problems and contribute in economic progress and prosperity of the country.
- To organize and motivate the universities to act as change agent so that they can create new frontiers of knowledge through demand-driven and innovative research to cope with the rapidly changing globalized society.
- To assess the financial needs of the universities and formulate and implement plans and programs for proper and appropriate development of the universities.
- To foster national, regional and international linkages and collaboration in the field of teaching, learning and to ensure exchange of knowledge, and research.
- To help the universities in staff development, student mobility etc.